Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Second wakeboarding experience

A week ago, I had my first. I originally thought I’d skip this week and only go once in two weeks because it’s expensive.  SGD 50 (entry rate on Tuesday) + SGD 32( taxi fare for 2 ways ). It’s pretty far away from where I live and work. But I missed it a lot and couldn’t wait to get back in again and so decided to head down last minute. I took the bus back to my apartment. Packed what I needed, wore my contact lenses and headed out. It was a beautiful evening. 30 minutes later, i arrived, paid, changed, put on my gear and off i went. I started out in System B first for warm up. John, my instructor didn't allow me to go for A, where i first began learning. 

I jumped in, stumbled and felt like i was making everyone wait a long time cuz i was taking so long in the water. I kept falling. Eventually i got the hang of it. But it was difficult at first when the person controlling the cable started with such high speed that i felt like i was being flung forward. The other difficulties i felt were such as board feeling heavy in water and not used to positioning myself sideways. In system B, everyone gets the chance to do 2 rounds. The queue was long so after finishing, i sat and wait for my next turn, which felt like it was going to take quite a while. There was only one cable in System B and each person will take around 5 minutes. I thought my money was going to go down the drain, not being able to board much this week. There were way more people this week than last. After a while, John came over to bring me to C. He knew I was hiding from him. I didn't feel ready for C ! I didn't feel ready last week . I was terrible in C last week. & I still didn't feel ready this week.  But he still dragged my ass over.

At the end of it, i finally managed to take off smoothly and board quite a distance. I even managed to turn. I didn't manage to wakeboard the whole round but i am grateful i've been improving. It's important not to compare yourself to others. What I learned is that the take off and bends would be the hardest. I was incredibly scared of the intense pull you feel from the cable when you take off and bends. The key is to hold your arms in and resist the pull. I didn't understand this. If you don't, you're gonna be flung forward as the cable pulls and you let go of your arms. 

I had fun with the kneeboard as well. Managed to go 3/4 turn before i crashed. Got bruises on my arms and legs from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment